Zhoufng's Blog!

Monday 17 January 2011

Literature and Life - Shel Silverstein's other 2 poems

Hey I'm back because I got informed recently that I haven't finished the English poems where you have to answer those questions. Well, let's get started now. It's not too late.


The Little Boy and The Old Man by Shel Silverstein
Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man.



Q1) What is the underlying message that is being conveyed in this poem?


The poem is trying to tell us that life is not always fair when you are being neglected by other people from different societies. Nowadays, we are divided into 4 different stages of our life: Childhood, Youth, Adulthood and Elderly. We usually care about the youths, as they are the ones who will decide our future, and the adults, which takes up most of the workforce, and let us have a better life (our parents) However, the children and elderly are often neglected and not a lot of attention is paid to them, as some people regard them as not doing that much for the society. Thus, this  poem tells us that this 'trend' is certainly not to be proud of and we have to pay more attention to them, and not discriminate them (Age Discrimination).


Q2) Has Shel Silverstein used any particular poetic technique that brings out this message more clearly?


Yes, Shel Silverstein used dialogues between the child and the old man to emphasize on the underlying message that is being conveyed in the poem, and also simplifies things and not using too much vocabulary which wll in turn make the poem hard to understand.


Messy Room by Shel Silverstein

Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
His underwear is hanging on the lamp.
His raincoat is there in the overstuffed chair,
And the chair is becoming quite mucky and damp.
His workbook is wedged in the window,
His sweater's been thrown on the floor.
His scarf and one ski are beneath the TV,
And his pants have been carelessly hung on the door.
His books are all jammed in the closet,
His vest has been left in the hall.
A lizard named Ed is asleep in his bed,
And his smelly old sock has been stuck to the wall.
Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
Donald or Robert or Willie or--
Huh? You say it's mine? Oh, dear,
I knew it looked familiar!



Q1) Can you say that the poem is humorous? If so, how?


Yes, the poem is definitely humorous. Shel Silverstein exaggerated on most o the details in this messy bedroom. The untidiness of the bedroom is so exaggerated that it is simply unbelievable. This then brings out the humour in the poem that there is no bedroom that could be so untidy.


Q2) What aspect of the human character has been highlighted in the poem?


The poem highlighted out that the human character is weird in a form that humans are sometimes quick to blame others but not themselves and are blind to their own faults. One will always point a finger at someone else, but then realise that four other fingers are actually pointing at him.








YAY I'm done! Anyway, I'm starting some video blogging in my Youtube channel soon (zhoufng). So watch out! :D Byes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment rubbish I'll summon a Trolzilla then next time a see you. D:

Powered By Blogger